ls -A

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Wed Oct 11 01:24:46 AEST 1989

In article <17118 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>>System III, Version 6, PWB, Onyx, TNIX, Venix, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

>Beg to differ.  UNIX(tm) is a registered trademark for a product which
>AT&T sells.  It is -not- any operating system which wishes to call itself
>UNIX.

Meeeeeep!  AT&T sold each of v7, sysIII, and sysV in turn under
the name UNIX.  If it was called Unix then but isn't called Unix
now, what exactly is it called now?

>There really is a good reason for this.  The entire reason the SVID
>and SVVS and friends exist is to define exactly -what- UNIX really is.

Then we are in serious trouble.  Have you actually tried to *read*
the SVID?  I suppose you (John) have, but most people haven't.  Good
thing too, very few people are strong enough to resist permanant
scarring from exposure to it.

Unix is the legacy of a bunch of hard work by many people, some
of whom worked for AT&T while doing some of that work.  AT&T owns
the trademark but they don't own Unix.  If they did they wouldn't
have spent all that time and energy on the SVID, which is an
effort to reclaim Unix.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 270249  Houston, Texas  77277