UNIX-like crypt function/crypt() outside USA

Ed Braaten ed at imuse.uucp
Mon Oct 9 07:07:23 AEST 1989

In article <17369 at ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem at walt.cc.utexas.edu (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>Didn't I read somewhere that Unix encryption was restricted to
>U.S.A. and not for export? What happens if the function gets
>in the "wrong" hands through the network?

Funny thing!  The SCO Xenix machine I play on at home has the crypt()
facility on it, and I live in Dachau, (West) Germany.  How did it get
here?  I bought my Xenix in the US while back home on vacation,
installed it on my portable, and then lugged the portable back
with me here to Germany...

In article <164 at spam.ua.oz>, wvenable at spam.ua.oz (Bill Venables) writes:
>  Let me confirm (although noone seems to doubt it) that the crypt() facility
>  is not available on UNIX machines in Australia, and I must say I find this
>  circumstance, although petty, a rather gratuitous insult from Uncle Sam.

I share your sentiments.  I think Uncle Sam is over-doing himself here.

Now for a question to my fellow Americans on the net:  What should I
do with my (???illegally???) exported crypt() routines?  Is my computer a
threat to National Security?

Ed Braaten                    | "Love the Lord your God with all your
Intel Semiconductor GmbH      |  heart and with all your soul and with
Dornacher Strasse 1           |  all your strength."  Deuteronomy 6:5
8016 Feldkirchen bei Muenchen |
West Germany                  | uucp: ed at imuse.uucp  Ph: +49 89 90992-426