How do you tell a wizard?

Michael H. Warfield Mike mhw at wittsend.lbp.harris.com
Mon Oct 23 02:32:41 AEST 1989

In article <227 at promark.UUCP> mark at promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>8	They don't call themselves wizards, but the people around them
>	usually do.

	This is an important point and yet this is the first article I've
read that mentions it.  Maybe it's so obvious that it shouldn't need stating.
I've know several individuals that have considered THEMSELVES wizards
or guru's.  They rarely are.  One particular individual I refered to
as a "guru in his own mind".  Unfortunately, he overheard me (I thought
he was in Florida!).  Fortunately we are good friends and he has a excelent
sense of humor (I say this because he's probably reading this :-) ).

	Being a wizard is not something you bestow upon yourself.  This
is something your peers decide about you.  There may well individuals around
who could not begin to hold their own in this group (I'm still not quite
sure about myself) and yet their co-workers and friends call them a wizard.
If they provide the leadership, support, and training to those others then
their peers are justified in titling them so.  There are, undoubtly,
individuals who could give us all lessons and yet they and their friends
consider them to be nothing extraordinary.

	If my friends want to call me a wizard, well I guess that means I
just have to work harder to live up to the reputation they have given me.
At the same time, I try to enjoy it and make fun of the designation.  My
.sig line is more of a jab at being called a wizard (only a mad one) than
claiming to be one (but it does match my initials :-) ).  Our Unix User's
group has a guru rap session each month for people to come in and have
problems answered by others who may have "been there before".  I have
made a point to be there as much as I can to "soak up" the knowledge as much
as anything else.  I have helped solved some peoples problems.  I consider
that advance payment on the inevitable day when I NEED HELP.  That
makes me a wizard or guru only if and as far as that's how others see me.
Not how I see myself.

	And no I don't really consider myself a wizard.

--
Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw at wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM