Pronunciations (was: And how do you pronounce "csh"?)

Frank Wales frank at zen.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 02:23:38 AEST 1989

On this naming business, I had a theory years ago that the names of
the editors ex, vi and sed were a pun on the notion that they were the
last words in editing: hence the pronunciation of their names as sounding
like the last letters of the alphabet (needs an English accent to work).
Consequently, my normal pronunciations of them are: eks, vy and sehd.
Isn't logic wonderful, especially when it's wrong?

Some other local "sayings":

        MS-DOS            Domesdos  (something we put down toilets here)
        FIONREAD          eff-eye-oh-en-read (logical); fyonread (quick)
        FIOGSAIOOWN       huh?

In article <2106 at se-sd.NCR.COM> rns at se-sd.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert) writes:
>Now a real wizard test: How do you pronounce Kernighan?

"Sir."

Now, how do you pronounce Knuth?
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank at zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217