How do you make /etc/d_passwd

Lars Tunkrans lars at iclswe.UUCP
Mon Sep 18 08:33:52 AEST 1989

In article <501.nlhp3 at oracle.nl> bengsig at oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
>I am very sorry if this has been asked before, (I guess it has), but
>would some kind soul please tell me how to use /etc/d_passwd, which
>strings shows me that I have compiled in.

On System V you have to create two files in /etc,  /etc/dialups and
/etc/d_passwd. The contents of /etc/dialups is just a list of the tty ports
you want to provide the extra sequrity for, probably your modem ports.
One port per line in the file:

/etc/dialups

/dev/tty1
/dev/tty2
.
.
a.s.o.

The contents of /etc/d_passwd is a list of login programs with their
respective passwords.

/etc/d_passwd

/bin/sh:encrypted_password:
/bin/csh:encrypted_password:
/bin/ksh:encrypted_password:

Thus depending on shell,or other program, you will be prompted for an extra
dialup password when you login from a port listed in /etc/dialups.
The dialups and d_passwd files should then be chmod 444 and owned by root.

L.T.

--
//     /////  ///     | Lars Tunkrans  Distributed Resource Systems support.
 //  ///      ///     | UUCP: {uunet,mcvax,munnari,cernvax,diku,inria,prlb2,tut