Convert between versions of UNIX

George W. Leach reggie at dinsdale.nm.paradyne.com
Sat Sep 23 03:41:56 AEST 1989

    I tried to reply via e-mail, but uunet bounced it back to me.

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 13:05:28 -0400
From: pdn!uunet!MAILER-DAEMON (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: pdn!dinsdale.paradyne.com!reggie

550 fjcnet.GOV!brinkema... Host unknown

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 89 09:59 EDT
From: reggie at pdn.paradyne.com (George Leach)
To: brinkema at fjcnet.GOV
Subject: Re: Convert between versions of UNIX
Newsgroups: comp.unix.wizards,comp.unix.xenix,comp.unix.ultrix

In article <201 at fjcp60.GOV> you write:

>I am writing a paper about the problems of converting (porting) software
>between various versions of UNIX, in particular *standard UNIX* System V,
>BSD 4.x, and Xenix.  I have done many ports in many 'directions' but am
>very interested in others' experience.

    Mark Horton (mark at cbosgd.att.com) of AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus OH
has been working on a book on the topic of portable C programming, which is
related.  You may want to talk to him.

>In particular, do you have a standard procedure; a set of feature-areas that
>you always check; tricks that make the porting easier?  Also what are the
>hardest feature to port; what features are so subtle that bugs from them
>hide?

    Have you seen the book:

		J.E. Lapin,
		Portable C and UNIX System Programming,
		Prentice-Hall, 1987
		ISBN 0-13-686494-5

    Although I don't totally agree with their standards, they are an example
of one.

>I will sumarize.  tia.  jb.

George

George W. Leach					AT&T Paradyne
(uunet|att)!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-133
Phone: 1-813-530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
FAX: 1-813-530-8224				Largo, FL  USA  34649-2826