Two identical filenames in one directory!

Perry Hutchison perry at ccssrv.UUCP
Fri Sep 29 13:26:38 AEST 1989

In article <22 at minya.UUCP> jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:

+ |	   _qactive________
+ |	   0F66767600000001
+ |	   611349650000000F
+ and:
+ |	   _jactive________
+ |	   0666767600000000
+ |	   7A13496500000000
+ Now we see what happened.  Some gremlin (I almost said daemon ;-) has changed
+ the last byte of one entry from 0x00 to 0x1F.

+ Does anyone know a solution to this problem, short of zeroing the directory,
+ running fsck, and reinstalling from backup?

Sure.  You boot DOS, run Norton Utilities in maintenance mode, search for the
problem pattern, and patch it.  Change the 1F to 00 and the name to anything
that doesn't duplicate some other entry in that directory.

This isn't a 386?  Well you can always use adb on the raw special file.