vi and sed questions

tom reingold tr at pcharming.ctt.bellcore.com
Mon Sep 11 10:22:16 AEST 1989

On the subject of "vi and sed questions", rowland at hpavla.HP.COM (Fred
Rowland) writes:

$ [vi question deleted.  I'll let someone else offer something.]
$
$ sed question
$
$ 	The file used in the above example is a mail list which
$ has to be converted into labels.  I add three @ symbols to the end
$ of each line, then convert all of them to newlines.  I can do this
$ in vi but I get substitution overflows as the file grows considerably
$ in size.  I would prefer to use sed, but how do you tell sed to
$ split a line (generate a newline)?  I've tried various
$ combinations of \(Return), \n, CTRL-V, and such but nothing
$ works.  I EVEN READ THE MANUAL!  It told me to use \n and
$ gave an example.  It didn't work.  This has to be possible, but
$ how?

One nice solution is to use tr instead.  Yeah!  I finally get to
promote "my" program -- tr was named after me.  No, just kidding.

I think the command

	tr @ '\012'

should suffice.

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr at bellcore.com
Bellcore                       |UUCP:           bellcore!tr
444 Hoes La room 1H217         |PHONE:          (201) 699-7058 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854-4182      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]