Workstation pricing, Sun vs. ISA

Brian Litzinger brian at apt.UUCP
Fri Sep 1 09:53:37 AEST 1989

>From article <836 at pitstop.West.Sun.COM>, by lwake at pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Larry Wake):
> In article <1989Aug30.204441.3294 at algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey at algor2.UUCP
> (Jeffrey Kegler) attempts to compare apples... er, attempts to price
> compare a Sun 386i vs. a generic 386 box.
>
> First off, as Mr. Kegler himself states, using the 386i as a comparision
> box for a UNIX-only environment is less than fair.  He asks:

I don't know whether or not the following comparision is fair, but
we primarily sell to the goverment, and we go through a bid process
where we bid against other vendors.  Regularly we find among our
competition SUN, HP, DEC, and "generic 386 box[es]".  Our systems would
probably also be called "generic 386 box[es]" by Mr. Wake.

Well, we have won just about all the bids we bid on.  Usually we win
because of such issues as price, support, open architecture.

[ I personally don't believe that SUN, HP, or DEC have anything remotely ]
[ related to an open architecture.                                       ]

A system of ours similar to the one described by Mr. Kegler's original
article would be about $2000 cheaper than the ISA , eventhough our slowest
machines are 25Mhz and the displays are 16" 1024x768 non-interlaced color.

<>  Brian Litzinger @ APT Technology Inc., San Jose, CA
<>  UUCP:  {apple,sun,pyramid}!daver!apt!brian    brian at apt.UUCP
<>  VOICE: 408 370 9077      FAX: 408 370 9291