Need help using /usr/lib/cpp for generic text

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at Athena.MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 22 07:22:52 AEST 1989

In article <836 at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>, verber at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
(Mark A. Verber) writes:
> [Various problems with using cpp for TeX text files.]

I use the m4 macro preprocessor when I need that functionality for text
files, and I find that it's more convenient for text files, at least
partially because you can do expansions inside quotes and it won't treat
the quoted strings specially.

I believe (but I'm not sure) that m4 is freely redistributable (but not
in the public domain, since I think it's Berkeley code).  If it is, you
should be able to ftp to uunet.uu.net and snarf it from the Berkeley
sources that are available there.

Make sure to get a man page too :-)

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-4261			      Home: 617-782-0710