defunct processes even after signal(...wait())

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Wed Sep 20 12:02:35 AEST 1989

In article <230 at cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu.edu>, kannan at cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (R. Kannan) writes:
> 	We are faced with a strange problem. Even though we have the
>         int ChildInt ()  {   wait((union wait *)0); }
>
>     		signal(SIGCHLD, ChildInt);
>
>       when we really try to fork at a very rapid rate, we end up with
>       some defunct (ZOMBIE ) processes.

> 	Is a SUN 4 environment. COuld some one explain to us what
>         could be wrong? and possible solutions.

It *sounds like* you are loosing some of the sigchlds.  Since you are
running under the sun os I would recommend using the BSD signal handling
mechanisms which should handle the problem.