Large third party ESDI disks for the IBM RT under 4.3 ?

William L. Moran Jr. wlm at archet.UUCP
Thu Sep 14 15:38:25 AEST 1989

In article <27086 at shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> tamir at cs.ucla.edu (Yuval Tamir) writes:
>Large (> 600 MB) ESDI disks are now available for under $3K
>(for example, from CDC and from Maxtor).

I know of one person using a really large ESDI disk on an RT w/4.3. He
has a Wren VI (780M) disk. The problem is that it is not supported by
any of IBMs normal controllers because it is too fast, so he uses a
prototype controller (HESDI I think). I suspect that many of the disks
would have a similar problem with controller speed i.e. the regular
FESDI controller would not handle them.
				Bill Moran

arpa: moran-william at cs.yale.edu or wlm at ibm.com
uucp: uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!wlm or decvax!yale!moran-william