Bugs in the BSD sources ??

Jeff Hakner hak at cooper.cooper.EDU
Sat Sep 30 04:30:12 AEST 1989

	Perhaps there is any incredibly simple explanation.
Perhaps not.  Simply put, here is my question:
	Are the BSD sources, archived @uunet, among other places,
	the sources to actual, working, tested programs?

Allow me to elaborate:

	I obtained the source to ftpd from uunet's bsd-sources
directory.  To my surprise, ftpd.c didn't even compile!  The problem
was several little scratch variables which were used but never declared.
The code was of recent vintage (Feb 89).  Then, just the other day,
I was looking at telnetd, and found this shocker:
		.
		.
		.
	if (fmt = wont ) {
	} else {
	}
(telnetd.c   5.31 (Berkeley) 2/23/89) (line 999)

So:
	1) Why are these bugs there?  Is this the "correct"
	   source for BSD.
	2) If not, where can I get it?
	3) If so, WTF?
Jeff Hakner