Multiple Root ID's considered evil?

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Thu Sep 21 23:13:13 AEST 1989

I don't see anything wrong with multiple root logins. There are two main
areas of use, the first being limited root operations like shutdown or
backup, accessible to operators or trusted users, and the second being a
regular root login for each type of shell normally run on the machine.

Root is too powerful to trust users to either always change shells or
not to type the wrong thing by instinct. Many of the systems here have a
Korn shell login and in some cases a csh login as well. I see no virtue
in leaving anything manual which can be automated.

--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon