Look! An xargs!! (Re: recursive grep)

David Goodenough dg at lakart.UUCP
Wed Sep 6 02:36:49 AEST 1989

OK - will you all get off my case, already!!

#! /bin/sh

awk 'BEGIN   {
		command = "'$1'"
		rec = command
	     }
	     {
		for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++)
		 {
		    if (length(rec " " $i) > 512 && rec != command)
		     {
			print rec
			rec = command
		     }
		    rec = rec " " $i
		 }
	     }
     END     {
		if (rec != command)
		    print rec
	     }'

The 512 can be changed to match the limits of whatever you want - it could
even be made a second parameter to this grungy little shell script. Or if
you want to make command everything else on the invocation line:

xargs grep -i foobar

type of thing, then the $1 in the BEGIN section can be changed to $*

So there :-P  Like I said, I do it all with awk :-)
--
	dg at lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+