YA bug(?) in csh

MFHorn arosen at hawk.ulowell.edu
Sat Sep 2 04:17:38 AEST 1989

An annoying behavior of csh (and sh) is non-interactive shells will
terminate if a builtin command returns a non-zero status.  Sh documents
this, csh doesn't (at least in the SunOS 4.x manuals).

Is there a way to make a shell script continue after a builtin command
fails?  I'd prefer a method for csh; I'd hate to have to rewrite 1,000
lines of scripts in a shell I'm less familiar with.

Prevention by carefulness is not an acceptable method (unless it's the
ONLY method).  These scripts are being executed by 6 versions of unix
on 14 different configurations.

Andy Rosen, Systems Manager   | arosen at swan.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar
U of Lowell, Computer Science | ulowell!arosen          |  and I learned how
1 University Ave.             | (508) 934-3648          |  to make it talk"
Lowell, MA 01854              |                         |    -Thunder Road