problems with async. I/O on streams

Larry Jones scjones at sdrc.UUCP
Tue Sep 19 08:37:01 AEST 1989

In article <27197 at shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, arman at oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Arman Bostani) writes:
> I have been trying to get asynchronous I/O with streams working on
> sys-V to no avail. I have written a small program doing async. I/O
> with streams that works perfectly fine on a Sun-3 running 4.0.3. The
> program works by performing an I_SETSIG ioctl operation on stdin.
>
> [...]
>
> Has anyone seen this problem before?
> Is it possible at all to do async. I/O on ttys?
> If so, how does one go about it?

Aha, there's the problem!  ttys are not stream devices in Sys
V.3, so stream operations naturally don't work on them.  This is
supposed to be fixed in Release 4, I believe.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones at SDRC.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"I have plenty of good sense.  I just choose to ignore it."
-Calvin