vi and sed questions

Fred Rowland rowland at hpavla.HP.COM
Wed Sep 20 22:35:06 AEST 1989

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Between notes and email, I now have
the answers I requested.

The reply from Finland, quoted below, gave the crucial clue.

> Strange.  The following 2-line sed script does it just fine for me:
>
> s/@/\
> /g
>
> (Nothing invisible in there, just what it looks like.)
> The only problem with this I can think of is that if you're using
> csh or tcsh you have to put the script in a file and use the -f option.
> What machine, OS and shell are you using?

That's exactly what I tried, and I had some typed notes that said that
it worked a few months ago, but it failed now.  Problem:  I switched
from Bourne to csh a while back and didn't know about the need to use
the -f option.

BTW, I'm using hp-UX 6.5 on an HP 330.

Fred Rowland
Avondale Division