Bugs in the BSD sources ??

David L Stevens dls at mentor.cc.purdue.edu
Sat Sep 30 17:17:00 AEST 1989

	I think if Jef P. had read the article he's being sarcastic about,
he'd realize that "software has bugs" isn't quite so clever an answer.

	I got some kernel source for IP/ICMP's record & source route options
from this archive a while back and I found that it wouldn't even compile,
either, because of minor missing declarations and couple lines of missing
code. It was pretty obvious and quickly fixed, but it is bizarre that someone
would include compile-time errors in a distribution source.
	On the other hand, it's free and very useful. It just takes away a
little confidence when the code you get doesn't compile and so you're certain
nobody's every tested exactly that version-- also certain it ISN'T the one
they really run at Berkeley. Just close.
--
					+-DLS  (dls at mentor.cc.purdue.edu)