scrogged argc, argv (was: system 5 vrs. bsd4.3 question)

David M Koon dxk at beta.lanl.gov
Wed Sep 6 06:48:35 AEST 1989

In article <10940 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <28398 at beta.lanl.gov> dxk at beta.lanl.gov (David M Koon) writes:
> -#include <stdio.h>
> -#include <string.h>
> -#include <time.h>
> -#include "cffs.h"
> -main(argc,argv)
> -int argc;
> -char *argv[];
> -{
> -....
> -However, on the SGI machine argc is undefined and argv seems to contain
> -the environmental variables.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what is
> -causing this and how I can fix it?
>
> The last time someone asked this, it turned out that the preceding
> header ("cffs.h" in this case) contained an error that affected the
> apparent return type associated with main().  Fix "cffs.h".

I am not sure what caused my article to resurface.  I did not resubmit it.
However, one more time here is what was really the problem

#include <all sorts of .h files>
struct foo{
	} /* missing semi colon */
/*	a screen or two of comments */
main(argc, argv)
int	argc;
char	**argv;
{

The solution was to add the semi colon and a suggestion was to declare
main as int ie.

int main(argc,argv).....

Again, I have no idea what caused the article to show up again.

Dave Koon
Los Alamos Nation Laboratory