interesting csh bug

Rusty Carruth rusty at cadnetix.COM
Thu Sep 21 00:04:02 AEST 1989

In article <9557 at cadnetix.COM> rusty at cadnetix.COM (Rusty Carruth) (thats me)
writes:

>However, I had been noticing some strange behavior, and finally
>got the time to track it down.  Here is a small test case
>which embodies my findings:

>#! /bin/csh
>      if( $SET == "set1" ) then
>	    if( 3 != 3) then

Well, I've already gotten mail from 2 people pointing out that
csh will fail to 'do the good thing' if you use "if(", but
it will work just fine and dandy if you use "if (".  And
they were right, it works just great if you have a space
after the if.  My thanks to David C Lawrence <uunet!pawl.rpi.edu!tale>
and Bradley White <uunet!mtxinu.com!bww> for pointing this out.

Thus ends the saga.  If any wizards out there want a copy of my
un-news script, email me (it takes news articles which have been saved
away and un-shars or un-uudecodes them into another location, and handles
both multiple-part articles and single articles.  It does not as
of yet handle patches, and probably never will).