Joining Lines in SED ?

Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs wcs at cbnewsh.ATT.COM
Wed Sep 6 02:44:12 AEST 1989

A few months back there was a discussion  of things you could do
with sed, such as crunching multiple newlines.  Does anyone know
how to join lines using sed?  I've played around with the
hold-space buffer, and with 'y', but nothing's worked for me.

(I've also tried using ed/ex/vi scripts, but the file I've been
hacking is too large for this to work, and bfs doesn't appear to
have join.  I could stoop to using awk, but sed looks like about
the right tool, and not all my machines have samsed.)

			Thanks;  Bill
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
# often found at 201-271-4712 tarpon.att.com!wcs Somerset CP3-4C423 fax469-1355