File daemons (was: How do I detect who and when A file gets accessed ?)

Steve Summit scs at hstbme.mit.edu
Mon Sep 25 09:40:04 AEST 1989

The obvious fully-general solution is to allow arbitrary
functions to be attached to files, to perform any kind of
authentication checking or audit trails that the file's owner
might desire.  How much work (if any) has been done on
implementing such a scheme under Unix?  Conventional Unix st_mode
permissions are usually found to be insufficient for doing really
seriously security-conscious work, but I have heard that some
"secure Unix" standardization effort or another has merely
adopted ACL's which, while obviously more flexible than 9 bits,
are essentially just more of the same, namely a static, tabular
representation of who can do what, without the radically greater
level of generality that an algorithmic permission option could
afford.

There are certainly some questions to be answered about such
"file daemons:" who do they run as, the attempting accessor or
the file owner?  (The latter, I think.)  What per-file data can
the daemon function use?  (It potentially needs arbitrary
storage, attached to the inode somehow, sort of like the file
contents itself but "out of band" with respect to it.)

Note that ACL's could be easily implemented under a "file daemon"
scheme (this is one indication of its superior generality): you
could write an ACL-checking daemon once, and attach it to any
file, storing the ACL itself in the per-file "out of band" data.

I suspect that this is one of those areas where the extra
generality is expensive enough to implement, but needed in such a
small percentages of cases, that it usually isn't worth doing.

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.pika.mit.edu
                                (alternate) scs at hstbme.mit.edu