lint on V.3

Brian Matthews blm at 6sigma.UUCP
Mon Sep 4 11:46:01 AEST 1989

In article <1123 at virtech.UUCP> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
|In article <1394 at redsox.bsw.com>, campbell at redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:
|> I have run into the same EXTREMELY IRRITATING problem with Interactive 386/ix
|> V2.0.1 (derived from SVR3.2).  When I called Interactive to complain, they
|> said "how big is your program" and when I said "oh, maybe, 75K lines of code"
|> they sort of fell over backwards and said "oh, wow, man, that's huge".
|> Gimme a break.  750K lines is rather big.  75K lines is pretty humdrum stuff.
|I too would fall over backwards if you told me that ONE of your source files
|is 75K lines of code.  That is a HUMONGOUS ?sp? amount of code to be in
|one source file and probably causes great headaches to support.

Uhm, I don't see anywhere in Larry's posting where he says he has 75K
lines of code IN ONE SOURCE FILE.  That would be a lot, but 75K lines in
a bunch of source files isn't all that much.

|However, I think that the system programs (cc, lint, ld, etc) should not
|have any hard-coded limits on the number of lines, number of symbols,
|or any other such entity.  They should be able to malloc() whatever they
|need and should only have a problem when the malloc() fails.

I don't know if I'd call cc, lint, etc. "system programs", but I agree
with your comment that they shouldn't have hard-coded limits on anything.
At my previous job, I supported the compiler (which was standard pcc2
based stuff), and it was filled with arrays instead of using malloc
(which meant one of my support jobs was to recompile the compiler after
defining bigger array sizes :-)

Unfortunately, this nastiness came straight from AT&T (as I suspect
does Larry's compiler), so you may be able to get your vendor to
recompile with larger limits, but you probably won't be able to get
them to do the job right and replace the arrays with mallocs.

Heavy sigh.
--
Brian L. Matthews			blm at 6sigma.UUCP
Six Sigma CASE, Inc.			+1 206 854 6578