Workstation pricing, Sun vs. ISA

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Sat Sep 2 02:10:32 AEST 1989

Well, I have an opportunity to directly compare a recent distribution of
SunOS against System V/386. I must admit to being underwhelmed with the
system administration support on the Suns. It was extremely difficult to
get TCP/IP configured on the Sun... requiring the assistance of a local
workstation guru... despite having sucessfully installed as well as
configured it on DOS, Xenix (System III), and System V. The system
administration setup in general appears to be the result of throwing features
at the old Version 7 design until it came up to spec. For V.3.2, at least,
the system administration and configuration setup is amazingly clean and
simple to work with. After my experiences with Version 7 and System III it
was like waking from a nightmare.

Not that there's anything horribly wrong with Version 7... it sure beats
what you have to do for a moderately complex DOS setup... but it's about
time this sort of stuff was at least slightly cleaned up, eh?
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'