Look! An xargs!! (Re: recursive grep)

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Mon Sep 4 11:54:53 AEST 1989

In article <16816 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, deboor at buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Adam R de Boor) writes:

> Shell scripts 201 (Graduate level :)
>
> #!/bin/sh -
> args=""
> while read arg; do
> 	args="$args $arg"
> done
> $* $args

Yet another non-solution.  This one does not handle the problem where the
list of arguments exceeds the maximum length (usually 5120 bytes).

Also there is a dependency that the args variable in the while loop is
available outside the loop.  I have found that this is not always true
due to the fact that the while loop may be implemented using a sub-shell.

I guess we need a post-graduate level course, or a beginners c program class.