Look! An xargs!! (Re: recursive grep)

Bruce Barnett barnett at crdgw1.crd.ge.com
Tue Sep 12 03:45:00 AEST 1989

In article <2205 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> I posted the
sources to xargs.c

In article <1086 at philmds.UUCP>, leo at philmds (Leo de Wit) writes:
>This program doesn't handle spaces in arguments correctly. Moreover,
>since the system() function is used to fire up the command, an
>(incorrect) re-interpretation of the arguments is done (think of
>metacharacters like ',\,",$,` etc). This can be dealt with much better
>by using argv[] directly (and execve(), left as an exercise for the
>reader).  Another bad feature is the use of gets(); I'd like to feed a
>> BUFSIZ line to your xarrrrrgs. Lastly, your xargs does a poor
>performance job:  the system imposed limit on argument lists is
>typically much higher than BUFSIZ.

I forgot to include the source of the xargs I posted.

It was mod.sources, V3, n106. Written by Gordon A. Moffett. Posted Feb, 1986.

I might as well include Gordon's disclaimer:

"Here is a reimplementation of the System V utility xargs.  I haven't
heard any complaints about it, though [1] There is room for improvement
regarding the command buffer size (tho' it is better than the System V
area in that particular regard) [2] It does not have all the features
of the System V version (as the man page points out)."

I suggest if someone finds this program offensive, they should fix
it up and send a new version to comp.sources.unix. I can assure you
I will not be offended.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett at crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett