Smail3, SunOS and shared libraries

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Aug 29 06:50:42 AEST 1990

>Hmmm.   If my memory serves me correctly, executables that are suid
>root and linked with shared libraries, must have those libraries in
>/usr/lib or /lib.  Could it be these executables are trying to find
>shared libraries in /usr/local/lib?

If they are, this shouldn't be a problem, as "/usr/local/lib" is also
considered an OK directory by SunOS's run-time loader.

Perhaps S5R4 has a more flexible way of specifying the list of OK
directories for shared libraries (they're hardcoded into "ld.so" in
SunOS), or perhaps when the program was built under S5R4 it wasn't
picking up any shared libraries from non-OK directories?