Checkpoint/Restart (was "no subject - file transmission")

Mike mwm at decwrl.dec.com
Fri Aug 17 03:45:49 AEST 1990

>> Mark Holcomb <mth at ROLF.STAT.UGA.EDU> writes:
>> > I need a tool that would stop a running process and let it be
>> > restarted at a later date.
>>
>> [problems deleted]
>> Seriously, doing this in any substantive manner is difficult and I'm sure
>> it would be virtually impossible to bullet-proof it on UNIX.

Yes - but you don't need it bullet-proofed; you just need it to work
most of the time. After all, being able to restart 90% of the time is
much better than being able to restart 0% of the time. Other OSs
provide this facility (or similar ones) in the face of these
difficulties; Unix ought to be able to.

In fact, if I recall correctly, UniCOS (the Cray SysV port) does
provide a checkpoint facility, for exactly the kind of long-running
processes that Mark was asking for it for.

Why does this line come to mind: "Do the easy 90% and give it to the
users; do the hard 10% only if they then ask for it."

	<mike