Too much Text for sed?

Peter Morreale morreale at bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu
Fri Aug 24 12:51:42 AEST 1990

I am trying to solve a sed problem for a user.  The sed commands file
contains 188 lines of various editing commands, and the source file
contains 2.4k lines.

When I apply the sed commands to the source, I get a:

Too much text:  [some sed command]

Is there an upper limit to the number of commands sed can handle?
I've read the BSD doc about sed (and several others as well), none imply
that there are limits of some kind...

>From testing I've found that the failure occurs relative to the amount
of text in the sed commands file.

(Details: UNICOS 5.1)

Any insight appreciated...

Thanks,
-PWM
Peter W. Morreale                  email:  morreale at ncar.ucar.edu
Nat'l Center for Atmos Research    voice:  (303) 497-1293
Scientific Computing Division