Getting CPU information on unterminatted child processes

Jay A. Konigsberg jak at sactoh0.UUCP
Mon Aug 13 22:20:12 AEST 1990

In article <3879 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>Getting information about kernel level data structures on the net is
>>a little like asking for the moon, no one seems to have it.
>
>No, it's more like asking for the moon if you're on Jupiter; the
>appropriate response is "which moon"?  Kernel-level data structures
>differ between different UNIX implementations.

This is true, however, the number of Sys V/Xenix and BSD/Sun systems
out there cover the majority of systems. That means there should be
only two general answers with the detail left out. When _all_ systems
are included, the number of answers goes up. Still, it would be nice
to get more kernel data-structure information.

I saw a program once called "top". Basically, its a `ps -ef` listing
where the processes that are using the most CPU time are listed on
top. Nice program, the author had the info I (and others) are looking
for. I don't know if it was Sys V or BSD because it was on a two-universe
machine (amazing in itself).