restore tar archives with different uid?

Chad R. Larson chad at anasaz.UUCP
Sat Aug 25 17:23:27 AEST 1990

In article <1740 at yenta.alb.nm.us> dt at yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
+---------------
| Is there a way to restore a tar archive, but force all the files
| thus created to be owned by you?
Well, you don't tell which version of tar you are playing with (DOS? SysV?
BSD?), but it sure sounds like a RTFM question to me.

SysVr3.2 TAR(1) partial extract, speaking of key arguments:

    "o" - Causes the extracted files to assume the owner and group ID
	  of the user running the program rather than those on the
	  archive tape.
--
Chad R. Larson          ...{mcdphx,asuvax}!anasaz!chad or chad at anasaz.UUCP
Anasazi, Inc. - 7500 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Suite 120, Phoenix, Az 85020