System Security: Tracking unsuccessful logins

Len Rose len at lsicom2.UU.NET
Tue Aug 28 10:46:26 AEST 1990

friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US (Steve Friedl) writes:

>> I'm currently trying to learn all I can about accounting within UNIX, but
>> I find the manuals a bit difficult to sift through.  I am trying to analyze
>> system usage of our IRIS, and was wondering about logging of unsuccessful
>> login attempts.

>Gee, Len Rose just might have some software to help you with this :-)

>     Steve

>--
>Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
>+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

 Gee, Steve... I didn't expect this sort of comment from you. Perhaps it
 wouldn't be so humorous if it had happened to you. I made modifications to
 /bin/login for the exact reason this person did. My only mistake was in who
 I alledgedly gave it to.

 The modifications to /bin/login were trivial to make. But, lest you invite
 the Secret Service upon you, make sure you have authorization from the
 people who own the system before installing it.

  Len

 len at cis.ohio-state.edu
 len at netsys.com (in the hands of the SS)
 uunet!lsicom2!len