seeking information about file system details.

Don Lewis del at thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com
Wed Aug 15 15:40:05 AEST 1990

In article <3199 at skye.ed.ac.uk> richard at aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:
>In article <28595 at athertn.Atherton.COM> mcgregor at hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) writes:
>>I guess what I am interested in is if I have a non-unix file system
>>and I want to allow the this file system to be mounted as a unix
>>file system, and accessed using open, creat, read, write, close, et al,
>
>If your system already has NFS, you can do this without kernel
>modifications, by writing an NFS server for your device.  NFS mounting
>works by passing the kernel the address of a socket through which it
>can send and receive messages from the filesystem.  I recently hacked
>up such a thing so that I can mount Minix floopies on a Sun.
>
>I can send you the code if you're interested.

I did this for an automatic version of /usr/hosts.  It periodically
reads the hosts YP map and emulates a directory of symbolic links
to /usr/ucb/rsh for the map entries.

I have another application in mind where I would like to build
my own filesystem type.  It would not be a complete filesystem
implementation.  The reason that I can't do it with an NFS server
is that I need to know what syscall a process is executing when
the process is doing a lookup in my filesystem.
--
Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del at mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028