Getting CPU information on unterminatted child processes

Keith Gabryelski ag at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Aug 15 07:48:01 AEST 1990

In article <3699 at sactoh0.UUCP> jak at sactoh0.UUCP (Jay A. Konigsberg) writes:
>In article <3879 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>>Getting information about kernel level data structures on the net is
>>>a little like asking for the moon, no one seems to have it.
>>
>>No, it's more like asking for the moon if you're on Jupiter; the
>>appropriate response is "which moon"?  Kernel-level data structures
>>differ between different UNIX implementations.
>
>This is true, however, the number of Sys V/Xenix and BSD/Sun systems
>out there cover the majority of systems.

I would say not.  For instance, getting the user structure for a
certain process is different depending the version of Xenix you are
running (2.1 or 3.2) and what machine you are running on (286 or
386).

Some Unix Systems use a system call to find such information; 3b2 use
sys3b(); 3b1 use syslocal().

System V Release 4.0 does the /proc thing.

That is six different ways (no Xenix 3.2/286) of handling the same
operation under systems you would group under SysV/Xenix; Ackphfffftt!

Guy is correct--``Which moon'' is the response you should expect if you
ask about kernel specifics without giving any detail about the target
system.

Pax, Keith