"to big" error on PDP-11/73

rick at tmiuv0.uucp rick at tmiuv0.uucp
Thu Aug 16 23:41:28 AEST 1990

In article <46 at gdx.UUCP>, jay at gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:
> I compiled C-Kermit ver. 4E on a Tektronix model 8061 (DEC LSI 11/73).
> The OS is called TNIX (tek's version of V7).
>
> When I tried to run the executable, it said:
> kermit: to big
>
> The machine has 512K of RAM and 4700 blocks of swap.  The executable is
> only 114K.  The largest executables I could find on the machine where
> less than 64K.  Is there a limit to the executable size on 11/73's?

You betcha!  The LSI-11 has a 16-bit program counter.  There is an MMU
built in, but if the OS is written like most for the LSI-11, each task
can only have 64K instruction and 64K data sections if separate I and D
space is implemented, 64K total otherwise.  Anything larger than that
must be overlayed.

I've spent 8 years hacking RT-11/SJ/FB/XM, RSX-11M/M-Plus and TSX on LSI-11s.
I do _NOT_ like the beasts.  I'm more fond of VAXen.  I'm moderately fond
of 386/Unix, and I _ADORE_ Amigas.

> I'm also trying to get Micro-Emacs to compile, and I get
> "too many defines"
> error from the c-compiler.  Any one have any ideas there?

Sounds like a table limit on the compiler.  Check your docs and see if
there's a way to increase the table sizes.  I've never heard of that
operating system before, but if it's a V7 running on an LSI-11, you'll have
many of the same limitations that the original Unix had on PDP-11s.  After
all, the LSI-11 is a microprocessor version of a PDP-11.

> Thanks,
> Jay A. Snyder

For what it's worth, you're welcome. 8-)

[- O] Rick Stevens, Technology Marketing Incorporated
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355 at compuserve.com from Internet)

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction."