HEEEELLLPPP!!

Theodore W. Larson larson at c3.lanl.gov
Thu Aug 30 08:58:48 AEST 1990

         Earlier today, I was editing a file in vi and
after a great deal of modification, I decided it was
time to save and then compile.  So, I went to exit vi
in the usual manner by typing   :x
   This would simply save my file and exit.

     Unfortunatly, this time I accidentally typed  :X
and it asked for an encryption key.  Naturally, not knowing
what this ment, I hit escape, and then typed :x and
saved and exited my file.  Imagine my suprise when I went to
compile and realized my file was now ecrypted in some strange
format!  So, now I have lost about three days of work and around
2,000 lines of new code.  HOW DO I UNENCRYPT MY FILE??!?!?
All the documentation I have on vi and ex says NOTHING about
this crummy feature.  I called Sun Microsystems because I am
using a Sun-4 workstation, and they were no help at all.  They
couldn't figure out who to route me to that would know.
Do you know?!?!?!?  I would be most grateful if you could tell
me what to do.

                     - Ted    (larson at lanl.gov)

                             505-665-4170