Source(s) for FAST disks

Danny danny at itm.uucp
Fri Aug 24 01:41:45 AEST 1990

Greetings!

    We need info on fast 5 1/4" hard drives, and controllers.  There
is so much hype that wading through it has become rather tiring.

What are the best figures for controllers and drives that are also
reliable?

Which interface is the fastest [ESDI, SCSI, other]?

Who are the best suppliers for controllers and drives?

    Now, realize that I'm interested in an AT controller for Interactive
*nix.  Our current setup is a 576 Meg Wren IV with an ESDI interface.
The drive is rated at 14.5 millisecond avg access time, with 15
Mbit/sec transfer rate.

    I've just seen a Seagate SCSI drive rated at 10.7 millisec avg
access time.  Is this for real, or what?

    Just what is the current bleeding edge, and what is usable?
Speakest thou thy minds, O great wizards!

                                        Danny
--
				Daniel S. Cox
				(seismo!gatech!itm!danny)