"Funny Money" and quotas -- help sought

David L Paktor Paktor at cup.portal.com
Mon Aug 6 10:44:38 AEST 1990

I am a system administrator in a group that has (a) grown rapidly,
    and (b) fragemented into sub-groups competing for disk-space.
    I am going to institute quotas as a short-term solution,
    and if there's anyone out there who can answer a few questions
    that are not covered in the man-pages, I would appreciate some
    help with that, too.

But that's not what I'm mainly writing about.  A friend of mine has
    mentioned to me the notion of "funny money"; this is a system
    where the available system resources are assigned an arbitrary
    "monetary" value, the various resource-consumers are allotted
    a "budget".  Automatic software keeps track of each consumer's
    usage, and keeps appropriate accounting -- which is reported
    as needed...

I had never heard of the system, before, but, now that I'm realizing
    that the problems of system administration may be economic and
    political, and not just technical, the idea sounds good to me.

So, what I am requesting is that if anyone "out there" knows of a
    software package to achieve these ends under SunOS v. 4.0.3 UNIX,
    (and, coming soon -- ver. 4.1 ), then please let me know.

Best way to reach me is by email, both to this path (a private service
    to which I subscribe), and to my path at work,   paktor at LSIL.COM
    or make your way to SUN and use:   ...sun!lsil!paktor

Ah, yes -- those questions about quotas are:  When are quotas checked?
    What is the format for a  quotas  file?  Can subdirectories be
    limited?  Can limitations be imposed on a named user or group,
    regardless of the directory in which their files are kept?

Thank you in advance...

David

  === Mister Systems ===    |  Imray Klaatu Na'Arawak:
      David L Paktor        |    Macro provaal barada, l'upden sol impiclit.
                            |      Ya vo taray axel
  Paktor at cup.Portal.com     |          b'gletio barengi degas...