shmat() system call?

8592x2 jeff at astph.UUCP
Thu Aug 16 06:11:02 AEST 1990

Question concerning the shared memory attach call:

I am writing a shared memory allocation manager for a multi-user
database. This manager will allow several processes to be attached
to the same memory segment at the same time. The first process to
attach to the shared memory segment will be returned a memory address
that points to the shared memory block.

I need to know if additional attaches by other processes will be
guaranteed to return the same address as that the first process
was returned. I am aware that you can request a particular address,
but why bother communicating that information between the processes
if the same address is returned anyway? I would appreciate any
answers or direction to documentation.

Thanks		jeff martin
		astph!jeff at psuvax1
		philadelphia phillies