What is my Ethernet address?

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Thu Aug 2 20:17:51 AEST 1990

There are several things to keep in mind here:

a. There may be no Ethernet address, or more than one Ethernet address.
b. The Ethernet addresses of two different interfaces may be the same.
   (This is perfectly normal on a Xerox NS packet forwarder, for instance.)
c. There may be some network interfaces with no Ethernet addresses.
d. The Ethernet address, if any, on any given interface may be changeable.

In article <432 at minya.UUCP> jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>BTW, this is not really just a SunOS question.  I'd also like to find out
>how it's done on other Unix systems.  I'm aiming at a program that shows
>behavior like:
>	% addr -e se0
>	08:5A:00:6C:04:FC

Such a program could (given reasonable kernel support) handle all of
the things noted above.  Any kernel support devised (the obvious method
is an ioctl on a socket; a better [my opinion] method would be an ioctl
on the file descriptor resulting from an open of /dev/se0, e.g.]) should
keep these in mind as well.
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris