2 hardrives of different interfaces allowed to coexist in PC UNIX?

Chad R. Larson chad at anasaz.UUCP
Sat Aug 25 17:15:29 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug19.184438.8598 at uicbert.eecs.uic.edu> teoh at uicbert.eecs.uic.edu writes:
+---------------
| Is it possible to allow 2 different types of hard disks in a pc UNIX
| environment (using 2 different controllers)? If so, what are comments
| on AT IDE vs ESDI drives?
+---------------
Yes, I did that to a Unisys 386 machine running Interactive 386/ix 2.0.0
last month.  The system came with a 70Mb drive, which left only about
20Mb available for "real" use once all the OS was loaded and swap space
configured.  The solution was to add a 300Mb ESDI drive and controller.

The Interactive HPDD can handle an extra controller right out of the box.
There were no real problems other than I had to edit the /etc/partitions
file by hand.

--
Chad R. Larson          ...{mcdphx,asuvax}!anasaz!chad or chad at anasaz.UUCP
Anasazi, Inc. - 7500 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Suite 120, Phoenix, Az 85020