fcntl() problem

Sean Thompson seant at ntpal.UUCP
Tue Aug 7 06:19:48 AEST 1990

Hey -
  I'm having a strange problem with a call to fcntl() on a Sun Sparc
station. In a large C++ program that compiled just fine, I make a call
to fnctl() with the proper parameters and check the return value. I ran
the program without mishap last Thursday and Friday, but today it locks
the machine.  Over the weekend we had a large power outage and I had a
little trouble bringing the machine back up, but I cannot think of
anything that would cause fcntl() to freeze.  I have traced the program
up to this point and I know that the call is made, it just never returns.
Can any of you wizards explain the inner workings of fcntl() to me and
give me an idea of why it might lock up?  I was of the opinion that fcntl()
did NOT block under any condition.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Sean Thompson