seeking information about file system details.

Richard Tobin richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk
Tue Aug 14 21:36:24 AEST 1990

In article <28595 at athertn.Atherton.COM> mcgregor at hemlock.Atherton.COM (Scott McGregor) writes:
>I guess what I am interested in is if I have a non-unix file system
>and I want to allow the this file system to be mounted as a unix
>file system, and accessed using open, creat, read, write, close, et al,

If your system already has NFS, you can do this without kernel
modifications, by writing an NFS server for your device.  NFS mounting
works by passing the kernel the address of a socket through which it
can send and receive messages from the filesystem.  I recently hacked
up such a thing so that I can mount Minix floopies on a Sun.

I can send you the code if you're interested.

-- Richard

Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin at uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin