VAX hardware

Bill Ganoe bill at tucson.sie.arizona.edu
Sun Aug 19 04:16:56 AEST 1990

A few weeks ago a 4.3BSD-Reno announcement was posted to the net.
It included a list of hardware supported in the 4.3BSD-Reno distrubution
and, probably, 4.4BSD.   The VAX list included 730, 750, 78x, 82x0, and 86x0.

We have got to upgrade from our 750, but we are seriously constrained by
physical space (floor space and access to that floor space) and A/C
capacity.  The VAXes we are looking at, e.g. 8550, aren't explicitly
included in the above list.

My question is, for the purposes of installing 4.3BSD and 4.4BSD
(Reno isn't really appropriate for the user community here), how
different are the various VAXes in the 8xxx series?  I have a solid
general hardware background, but I am still working on an intimate
knowledge of the VAX family.

"Any society that needs | William H. Ganoe      bill at tucson.sie.arizona.edu
disclaimers has too many|  Systems & Industrial Engr. Dept, Univ. of Arizona
lawyers." -- Eric Pepke |  Tucson, AZ 85721; USA