Re.: UNdeleting files

Kishore Seshadri kseshadr at quasar.intel.com
Sat Aug 11 00:51:06 AEST 1990

In article <7410002 at hpfcmgw.HP.COM>, munir at hpfcmgw (Munir Mallal) writes:
>>>A similar thing has just happened here, and we don't have fsdb either.
>>>The machine has been untouched since the directory was deleted.
>>>Any suggestions ?
>>
>    >Whether done with fsdb or not, the task is to read the disk
>    >partition block by block, check each block to determine whether
>    >it's part of the data to be recovered, and reassemble the recovered
>    >blocks.
>
>You can use adb if you have it, but will have to do a lot of math to determine
>offsets etc.

I have a binary file modifier called fm that I pulled off comp.sources.misc
that can be used to edit devices and binary files. Once again if you do the
math beforehand this program may be of help in this situation. The devices
can be edited in either hex or ascii modes and simple string searches can be
handled. You should probably have a good understanding of the way the file
system has been implemented before fooling with this.

Kishore Seshadri