Smail3, SunOS and shared libraries

Terry Hull terry at eece.ksu.edu
Tue Aug 28 03:12:11 AEST 1990

tron at veritas.uucp (Ronald S. Karr) writes:

>The Smail3 program does not run well on several recent releases of
>SunOS, and I don't understand why.  I do not actually have a Sun
>myself, so I can't look into the problem directly, though some of the
>sites that have Smail3 sources and Sun machines have tried to find
>the problem, and so far nobody has reported a solution.

>The problem is this:  Smail3 cannot exec programs that require
>shared libraries, if the smail binary is setuid to root, or is run
>by root.  One time, over the phone, I talked someone through the
>process of getting smail to exec an interactive shell by mailing
>a message through smail.  This worked, but only commands without
>shared libraries could be executed.

Hmmm.   If my memory serves me correctly, executables that are suid
root and linked with shared libraries, must have those libraries in
/usr/lib or /lib.  Could it be these executables are trying to find
shared libraries in /usr/local/lib?
--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University