Problems with permissions on sockets.

John Chambers jc at minya.UUCP
Fri Aug 10 09:58:07 AEST 1990

In article <MTR.90Jul26123451 at geech.ai.mit.edu>, mtr at geech.ai.mit.edu (Michael Rowan) writes:

> Having kmem readable by everyone is a security problem, if you care
> about such things.  Some make programs that use kmem (ps for one) sgid
> kmem (with kmem grouped to kmem mode 640)

Watch out for clever changes from some vendors.  A couple months back,
I noticed that /bin/ps on a Convex was setuid-root, and brought this
to the manager's attention.  He agreed it was silly, and we changed it
to setgid-kmem.  It seemed to work fine.  But within minutes he started
getting calls from puzzled users about ps being broken.  When we looked
closer, we found that it would only show all processes if its euid was
0, and other mere mortals were restricted to seeing a list of their own
processes.  We decided that this was a totally bogus pseudo-security
non-feature, and changed it back to setuid-root so that users could
see what was happening.  Maybe we were wrong.

Does anyone know why they would do something so silly?  Well, yeah, I
know how to use the process table as a covert data channel; I've even
implemented a demo of the technique.  But if you're that security-crazed,
I can't imagine allowing ps in the first place.   (For that matter, it'd
probably be better to just simply ban multi-programming. ;-)  Anyone out
there with the inside story?

--
Zippy-Says: I was there when ELMER FUDD met HAMLET on the MOON.
Uucp: ...!{harvard.edu,ima.com,eddie.mit.edu,ora.com}!minya!jc (John Chambers)