CI.STK history function

Patrick M. Ryan ryan at sjuphil.uucp
Thu Feb 22 06:48:20 AEST 1990

I have never been overly thrilled with the history capabilities of any
of the Un*x shells which I have used (csh, sh, ksh, tcsh, etc.).  One
history command I do like, though, is the one in HP's RTE-A running
on an HP 1000.  The way it works is this: Type '/' and the system
will display the last 10 (or so) commands you have executed (in
much the same way as csh's 'history').  One then simply moves the
cursor up the list of commands and hits RETURN on the one he or
she wishes to repeat.  The user also has the option, while perusing
the list, of editing a command in wordprocessor-like fashion before
executing it.  If the user types '//' instead of '/', just the last
command is displayed.  Easy, no?

The reason for this post is to see if anyone has a neat hack by which
I might emulate this RTE-A history capability in the Berkeley shell.
Suggestions and partial solutions are welcome.

Please email responses and I'll post a summary.

--
patrick m. ryan
  ryan%sjuphil.sju.edu at bpa.bell-atl.com
  {bpa|burdvax|princeton|rutgers}!sjuphil!ryan
  pmr at gemini.gsfc.nasa.gov