bigger longs (64 bits)

David A. Truesdell truesdel at sun217..nas.nasa.gov
Sat Feb 10 08:22:24 AEST 1990

scott at bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) writes:
>In article <4812 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov> (David A. Truesdell) writes:
>>lseek is already "broken" here.  I'm in the process of testing a striped
>>filesystem which currently weighs in at 20 GigaBytes, with a production size
>>expected to be 200+ GB.

>Forgive my ignorance, but, what is a "striped" filesystem?

A striped (or stripeing) filesystem is one in which the filesystem is spread
out over a set of disks in order to increase capacity and/or performance and/or
reliability.  The filesystem I'm testing would be classed as "level 5 RAID".
(That's "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks", too bad our disks can't really
be called "Inexpensive".)

You can check out the September '89 (v7i9) issue of UNIX Review, which has an
article ("Winged Memory") which covers the ideas behind RAID, and the different
classes of RAID filesystems.

T.T.F.N.,
dave truesdell (truesdel at prandtl.nas.nasa.gov)

"Testing can show the presense of bugs, but not their absence." -- Dijkstra
"Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs." -- Kernighan